How to Prepare Your House to Sell for More
May 6, 2010
Preparing your house for sale can be a daunting task. When you’re selling your home, there are things about your house you might not notice or mind that can make a big difference with potential buyers. Even if these fixes or improvements seem small by themselves, taken as a whole they can have an impact on how much you can sell your house for.
We’re thinking about putting our house on the market and a realtor gave us some tips for preparing and staging our house that have been shown to result in higher sale prices.
- Trim your trees & shrubs
- Plant seasonal flowers
- Weed flower beds
- Put out fresh mulch
- Paint your front door
- Keep your porch clean
Cleaning Your House
- Clean the carpets & then keep them vaccumed
- Polish or wax wood/vinyl floors & then keep them swept
- Wash all your windows
- Clean your light fixtures
- Replace the bulbs with higher watt bulbs
Clean out fireplace ashes
- Air out your house for cigarette or dirty diaper smells
- Keep a candle burning
- Get the pets out when showing
Decluttering Your House
- Clean out your closets
- Organize your drawers & cabinets
- Don’t have things lying on the floor
- Clear out piled-high shelves
- Overcrowded with furniture
- If limited kitchen counter space, keep it clear
- Keep kids toys out of front yard and off porch
Bathrooms & Kitchens
- Keep bathtub, shower, & sinks sparkling
- Caulk and Grout tubs and tile
- Fix any leaks in your faucets
Upgrading Your House
These are tips that aren’t necessarily required and will cost you money but can also make a big difference when selling your house.
- Remove old wallpaper in the bathroom, kitchen, or entry
- Replace outdated light fixtures
- Where needed, paint the interior and exterior
- Install new appliances
If you’re selling your home, hopefully some or all of these tips will help you get a better price.
Last updated by.
All posts by Ben Edwards