Would You Take a Better Job for a Lower Salary?
September 3, 2008
If you had the chance to take a job that you would enjoy more than your current position but paid about 4% less than your current salary would you take it?
Earn More or Enjoy More?
I’ve been on the job hunt recently and had a really interesting opportunity come up that pays less than I earn now. Is it worth it to me to take a job that I’ll probably enjoy more even though I’ll earn less money?
Job Comparison Tool
Luckily, I have the job comparison tool to help me make my decision. I plugged in scores for 16 different criteria, including salary, and the tool suggests I should go for the new job. Even though I gave salary the highest weight in the model there were enough other benefits of the new job that the final score suggests the new job would be a good move.
Document Job Details
One of the things I didn’t mention in my coverage of the job comparison tool was that you should create another set of columns off to the side of your spreadsheet where you provide the data behind the score for each criterion.
For example, if you rate one job as a 2 for salary and another job as a 1, you should put the salary for each job in the columns off to the side of the model. This will remind you of the reason why you scored each job feature the way you did.
What’s More Important than Money?
There are several reasons the new job is appealing to me:
To start with I’d have less responsibility, fewer tight deadlines, little client interaction, and no pager.
Flexible Work Schedule
They also offer a flexible work schedule, you can work 4 ten hour days, 9 nine hour days with every other Friday off, or 9 hour days Monday – Friday, then work from home for 4 hours on Friday.
Another benefit is that I’d be working with a much broader range of technologies in the new job. About 60% of the job would involve web application development and the other 40% would be composed of technolgoy research and development for the company. This exposure to new technologies is not only interesting but also makes my resume more versatile.
Paid for Your Effort
To top it off, you get paid for every hour you work! Although it is a salaried position, it also pays overtime. Due to the type of work the company does and the way it bills clients, the company pays employees overtime for every hour they work over 40.
The company tries to avoid paying overtime so I probably wouldn’t make much extra money but what it does mean is that I wouldn’t typically have to work over 40 hours in a week. Not that I’m opposed to hard work, I just like to get paid for the work that I do. Contrast this with my current job where I could work a 60 hour week and still get paid the same.
Of course, the downside is that I’d earn less money, about 4% less than I do now. I’d also lose a week of vacation since I’d be starting fresh at a new company. Even so, when I put all the features of the two jobs into my job comparison tool it suggests I go for the new one. They’ve made me an offer so I have to decide soon whether to accept it or not. I’m heavily leaning towards the new job….
What do you think? Would you take a better job for a lower salary?
Last updated by.
All posts by Ben Edwards