What Do You Think Of Occupy Wall Street?
November 7, 2011
I was in Minneapolis last weekend and as I walked back to my hotel I ran across a group of people who were carrying on the cause of Occupy Wall Street and had setup Occupy Minneapolis.
It was already pretty cold and windy and it’s just the beginning of November so my first thought was that they had a long winter ahead of them. Yet, despite the cold they were out there handing out fliers and talking to anyone that would listen.
Of course I’m curious about anything that has to do with money or the economy so I spent some time talking with a variety of people who were hanging around the square. It was certainly a mix of demographics and backgrounds and everyone had their own unique beef with big business and Wall Street.
Not all of their arguements made sense to me, it seemed like some people were trying to make connections where there didn’t seem to be any. They would explain their plight and describe how big business had put them there and it didn’t always seems to make sense. On the other hand, there were people with perfectly legitimate concerns who had specific examples of how they’d been impacted.
One thing everyone had in common was that they were upset with the direction our economy and society are heading and they were very excited to have “a voice” where they could express their concerns.
Something I found interesting was that everyone was very willing to tell me their story and their thoughts, but when I asked if I could video them with my Flip cam they all declined. Many of them had jobs or other interests that could potentially be harmed if their interview suddenly appeared on YouTube and was seen by the wrong people.
Overall it was a very interesting experience and I’m curious to hear what you think of Occupy Wall Street and all the related movements.
I was also able to catch up on some reading while I was traveling, here are some recent articles I read that you might want to check out:
- Obama’s New Student Loan Relief Plan @ Generation X Finance
- Determining Your Retirement Expenses @ Lazy Man & Money
- Save on Monthly Bills @ Suns Financial Diary
- Using A Personal Cash Flow Statement To Track Finances @ The Digerati Life
- 7 Financial Consequences When You Say “I Do” @ My Dollar Plan
- The Thorny Issue of Combining Finances @ Frugal Dad
- Kids asking you questions about money @ Mighty Bargain Hunter
- Why Your Bank Loves Auto-Pay @ Free Money Finance
- How to Keep a Steady Paycheck while Starting a Business @ Out of Your Rut
- The Cost of Commuting @ Brip Blap
- How Leveraged ETFs Work @ Million Dollar Journey
- Dogs of The Dow Performance Worse Than Index Fund @ My Money Blog
Let me know in the comments below what you think of Occupy Wall Street.
All posts by Ben Edwards